Pages

Monday 17 February 2014

It's all about the Making...

After treating myself to the wonderful book Making and Drawing I feel inspired to update on some of my recent making.

Making for me in very much a part of the drawing process, in fact, it could be seen as an exploration of line and mark itself. 

Surface, texture, form and conversations.

Let's have a look at what's been going on...

Exploring the relationship between size, weight, line and clay body 
these two objects have an interesting dialogue:


I have taken a cast of the inside and reverse of the same mould here 
and the surface quality is again interesting..


The way it picks up the stitch is magical:


And the depth of the line draws you in further still:


I then stopped to think about what has been happening during the whole process of the making....

> During slip-casting you are always left with waste slip. 

> Reusing the flexible moulds pushes them to their limits. 

They begin to disintegrate and become unusable, but surely this is not the end of their use?

I started to consider how I could utilise all of this....

and through a process of composing with the waste cloth:


...using the excess slip to take a cast or in this case 'print':


I have been presented with some interesting results:


Taking this further into the positioning of stitch, line and altered surface - 
 you are offered a whole new line of enquiry still!



I'm quite excited by this process and see lots of potential in its capabilities longer term.... 
I wonder how this might work in to my current degree show set up however, 
could this become part of / a canopy in itself?

and what about these forms:



They are starting to take shape a bit more too...


It's not that long away now, when this work will be up on show

I can't wait to see it!!!

But for now, it's on with the making...

No comments:

Post a Comment